Jennifer Aniston Opens Up about Personal Experience with Dry Eye Symptoms,
Which Have Been Reported by Nearly 30 Million Americans
Lexington, Mass. – August 25, 2016 – Jennifer Aniston is one of the millions of Americans who experience symptoms consistent with Chronic Dry Eye. Commonly referred to as Dry Eye, Aniston has revealed how the condition gets in the way of her daily life. In partnership with Shire plc (LSE: SHP, NASDAQ: SHPG), Aniston is encouraging people to make eye health a priority, and is raising awareness and understanding about Chronic Dry Eye symptoms, like the ones she experiences. She hopes to educate and inspire people to chat with their eye doctor about what’s really going on with their eyes.
“My eyes often become dry, itchy and irritated, especially when I am reading or outside,” says Aniston. “The symptoms were bothering me so much that I finally decided to speak with my eye doctor, and learned I have Dry Eye.” Getting Americans to talk about those Chronic Dry Eye symptoms is what inspired Shire to launch eyeloveTM, an educational awareness campaign inspired by the wonderful things we can do and see because of our eyes.
To get people to prioritize their eye health, eyelove will provide information that helps them recognize that symptoms may interrupt common activities like reading, driving or working at a computer. Through the eyelove campaign, Shire hopes that people will show their eyes some love, which may start by visiting their eye doctor to chat about Dry Eye symptoms that may be getting in the way of the things they love to do.
“Shire is thrilled to partner with Jennifer Aniston to help educate people about Dry Eye and the steps they can take to maintain and improve their eye health,” said Robert Dempsey, Head, Ophthalmics franchise at Shire. “As a leading biotech company, we are passionate about making a meaningful and lasting difference in the lives of patients.”
The eyelove Art Project
To bring the eyelove experience to life, New York City will play host to the “eyelove art project” at the High Line on Friday, October 7 from 9AM – 6PM and Saturday, October 8 from 11AM – 7PM. Visitors will be invited to share their own personal eyelove before creating a unique artistic image of their eye via a customized photo capture. The photo will then be projected onto a large screen, showcasing each person’s one-of-a-kind eyelove art. Participants have the option to share their eyelove art via social media channels. People can also visit www.myeyelove.com to create their own art.
“With the eyelove campaign and our exciting event in NYC, we hope to ignite women to show some eyelove and encourage their girlfriends to do the same. We know that while women with Dry Eye are doing the best they can to minimize the interruptions that symptoms have on their daily lives, eyelove is intended to highlight the importance of having a conversation with their eye doctor,” said Vic Noble, Head of Marketing for Ophthalmics at Shire. “Many women have annual reminders for their dentist or OB/GYN visits, but seeing an Eye Doctor falls off the to-do list. Showing their eyes some love is important so that women don’t continue to let their Dry Eye symptoms interrupt the things they love to do, like book club, gaming, or whatever it may be.”
On myeyelove.com, a story-driven site which harnesses the voices of leading eye doctors as well as women with Dry Eye, consumers can find information to help better recognize the symptoms of Dry Eye, learn about the causes, and can access a conversation guide to speak with their eye doctor.
About Dry Eye
In the United States, nearly 30 million adults report symptoms consistent with Chronic Dry Eye, but an estimated 16 million are diagnosed with the condition. Reported signs and symptoms include a burning, itchy, stinging or gritty feeling in the eyes, episodes of blurred vision, eye redness and watery eyes.
If you experience episodes of blurry vision, burning, stinging, dry feeling eyes or a gritty feeling as if there could be something in your eye, you could be one of millions of Americans dealing with Dry Eye. Although people experience Chronic Dry Eye differently, it remains one of the most common complaints that patients talk to their eye doctors about. Dry Eye symptoms can interrupt everyday activities like using a computer, driving at night, reading, and spending time outside in bright light or in cold or windy conditions. There are many potential causes of Dry Eye including a range of medical conditions, physical damage to either tear glands or the eyelids, and certain medications. Inflammation is a key factor that is often associated with Dry Eye. When the surface of your eye is exposed to dry conditions or environmentally stressed, that stress can initiate an inflammatory response, and can lead to self-perpetuating cycle that can maintain or even worsen the inflammation. This can happen over and over again, creating a cycle of inflammation, which may, in some cases, cause permanent damage to the eye’s surface. While more young people are complaining of Dry Eye than ever before, it is seen more commonly in women and older people. Due to an aging population and increased use of technology, its prevalence is predicted to increase.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
NOTES TO EDITORS
Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We strive to develop best-in-class products, many of which are available in more than 100 countries, across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Ophthalmics, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal / Internal Medicine / Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; and a growing franchise in Oncology.
Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.
Statements included herein that are not historical facts, including without limitation statements concerning future strategy, plans, objectives, expectations and intentions, the anticipated timing of clinical trials and approvals for, and the commercial potential of, inline or pipeline products are forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements involve a number of risks and uncertainties and are subject to change at any time. In the event such risks or uncertainties materialize, Shire’s results could be materially adversely affected. The risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- disruption from the acquisition and integration of Baxalta Incorporated (“Baxalta”) may make it more difficult to conduct business as usual or maintain relationships with patients, physicians, employees or suppliers;
- the company may not achieve some or all of the anticipated benefits of Baxalta’s spin-off from Baxter International, Inc. (“Baxter”) and the acquisition may have an adverse impact on Baxalta’s existing arrangements with Baxter, including those related to transition, manufacturing and supply services and tax matters;
- the failure to achieve the strategic objectives with respect to the acquisition of Baxalta may adversely affect the company’s financial condition and results of operations;
- products and product candidates may not achieve commercial success;
- product sales from ADDERALL XR and INTUNIV are subject to generic competition;
- the failure to obtain and maintain reimbursement, or an adequate level of reimbursement, by third-party payers in a timely manner for the company’s products may affect future revenues, financial condition and results of operations, particularly if there is pressure on pricing of products to treat rare diseases;
- supply chain or manufacturing disruptions may result in declines in revenue for affected products and commercial traction from competitors; regulatory actions associated with product approvals or changes to manufacturing sites, ingredients or manufacturing processes could lead to significant delays, an increase in operating costs, lost product sales, an interruption of research activities or the delay of new product launches;
- the successful development of products in various stages of research and development is highly uncertain and requires significant expenditures and time, and there is no guarantee that these products will receive regulatory approval;
- the actions of certain customers could affect the company’s ability to sell or market products profitably, and fluctuations in buying or distribution patterns by such customers can adversely affect the company’s revenues, financial condition or results of operations;
- investigations or enforcement action by regulatory authorities or law enforcement agencies relating to the company’s activities in the highly regulated markets in which it operates may result in significant legal costs and the payment of substantial compensation or fines;
- adverse outcomes in legal matters, tax audits and other disputes, including the company’s ability to enforce and defend patents and other intellectual property rights required for its business, could have a material adverse effect on the company’s revenues, financial condition or results of operations;
- Shire is undergoing a corporate reorganization and was the subject of an unsuccessful acquisition proposal and the consequent uncertainty could adversely affect the company’s ability to attract and/or retain the highly skilled personnel needed to meet its strategic objectives;
- failure to achieve the strategic objectives with respect to Shire’s acquisition of NPS Pharmaceuticals Inc. or Dyax Corp. (“Dyax”) may adversely affect the company’s financial condition and results of operations;
- the company is dependent on information technology and its systems and infrastructure face certain risks, including from service disruptions, the loss of sensitive or confidential information, cyber-attacks and other security breaches or data leakages that could have a material adverse effect on the company’s revenues, financial condition or results of operations;
- the company may be unable to retain and hire key personnel and/or maintain its relationships with customers, suppliers and other business partners;
- difficulties in integrating Dyax or Baxalta into Shire may lead to the company not being able to realize the expected operating efficiencies, cost savings, revenue enhancements, synergies or other benefits at the time anticipated or at all; and
- other risks and uncertainties detailed from time to time in Shire’s, Dyax’s or Baxalta’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including those risks outlined in “ITEM 1A: Risk Factors” in Shire’s and Baxalta’s Annual Reports on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2015.
All forward-looking statements attributable to us or any person acting on our behalf are expressly qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements that speak only as of the date hereof. Except to the extent otherwise required by applicable law, we do not undertake any obligation to republish revised forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.