- New facility will add 30% capacity to Shire’s internal plasma manufacturing network once fully operational
- Expanded capacity supports continued strong growth of Shire’s leading immunoglobulin portfolio and further strengthens ability to deliver complex therapies for rare immune-mediated conditions
Dublin, Ireland – June 21, 2018 – Shire plc (LSE: SHP, NASDAQ: SHPG), the global biotechnology leader in rare diseases, announced today that the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the company’s first submission for its new plasma manufacturing facility near Covington, Georgia for the production of GAMMAGARD LIQUID® [Immune Globulin Infusion (Human)] 10% Solution, a replacement therapy for primary humoral immunodeficiency (PI).
The Covington facility will add approximately 30% capacity to Shire’s internal plasma manufacturing network once fully operational. Commercial production at the site began in January 2018, and Shire expects to distribute product shortly now that approval has been granted.
“The approval of our Covington, Georgia facility is a significant milestone for Shire and for the patients we serve,” said Matt Walker, Head of Technical Operations for Shire. “The increased manufacturing capacity from the site will support Shire’s growing Immunology franchise and further strengthens our ability to deliver complex therapies for patients around the world living with a range of rare and immune-mediated conditions.”
In 2017, Shire’s immunoglobulin portfolio delivered significant growth, with product sales increasing +18% versus prior year. In the first quarter of 2018, Shire’s immunoglobulin portfolio grew +12% driven by continued strong sales of subcutaneous products.
“The demand for immunoglobulin continues to accelerate, and we understand that the safe production of these plasma-based therapies is a time-consuming, intricate and highly-regulated process,” said John G. Boyle, President and CEO of the Immune Deficiency Foundation. “The fact that even more people with primary immunodeficiency diseases have the potential to be helped, with the approval of a new, cutting-edge manufacturing facility specifically designed to produce complex plasma-based therapies, is welcome news for our patient community.”
The Covington site currently employs approximately 900 full-time colleagues and contract employees. Since the beginning of 2018, Shire has ramped up hiring to fill roles in manufacturing, quality, engineering, maintenance, utilities, warehouse, and various support and facility roles.
Shire expects to make a second submission to the FDA in 2018 for development of its albumin therapy at the Covington facility. Shire’s albumin therapy is primarily used as plasma-volume replacement therapy in immune disorders, trauma and other critical conditions.
Shire also plans to continue expanding its plasma collection network in Georgia and throughout the United States through its subsidiary, BioLife Plasma Services. BioLife collects the human plasma used in the manufacturing process for immunology products at the Covington facility.
GAMMAGARD LIQUID [Immune Globulin Infusion (Human)] 10% Solution
What is GAMMAGARD LIQUID?
- GAMMAGARD LIQUID is indicated for the treatment of primary humoral immunodeficiency diseases (PI) in patients two years of age and older. GAMMAGARD LIQUID is a ready-to-use, liquid medicine that contains immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibodies, which protect the body against infection.
- GAMMAGARD LIQUID is made from human plasma that is donated by healthy people and contains antibodies that replace the missing antibodies in patients with PI.
- GAMMAGARD LIQUID is given into a vein (intravenously) or under the skin (subcutaneously). You and your healthcare provider will decide which way is best for you. Most of the time infusions under the skin are given at home by patients or caregivers, after training. Although it is possible to give yourself infusions into a vein at home, they are more often given in a hospital or infusion center by a nurse. Only use GAMMAGARD LIQUID by yourself after you have been instructed by your healthcare provider.
Important Safety Information
What is the most important information that I should know about GAMMAGARD LIQUID?
GAMMAGARD LIQUID can cause the following serious reactions:
- Severe allergic reactions causing difficulty in breathing or skin rashes
- Decreased kidney function or kidney failure
- Blood clots in the heart, brain, lungs or elsewhere in the body
- Severe headache, drowsiness, fever, painful eye movements, or nausea and vomiting
- Dark colored urine, swelling, fatigue, or difficulty breathing
Who should not use GAMMAGARD LIQUID?
Do not use GAMMAGARD LIQUID if you:
- Have a known history of a severe allergic reaction to IgG or other blood products.
- Have selective (or severe) immunoglobulin A (IgA) deficiency with antibodies to IgA.
GAMMAGARD LIQUID can cause serious side effects. Call your healthcare professional or go to the emergency department right away if you get:
- Hives, swelling in the mouth or throat, itching, trouble breathing, wheezing, fainting or dizziness. These could be signs of a serious allergic reaction.
- Bad headache with nausea, vomiting, stiff neck, fever, and sensitivity to light. These could be signs of irritation of the lining around your brain.
- Reduced urination, sudden weight gain, or swelling in your legs. These could be signs of a kidney problem.
- Pain, swelling, warmth, redness, or a lump in your legs or arms. These could be signs of a blood clot.
- Brown or red urine, fast heart rate, yellow skin or eyes. These could be signs of a liver or blood problem.
- Chest pain or trouble breathing, or blue lips or extremities. These could be signs of a serious heart or lung problem.
- Fever over 100ºF. This could be a sign of an infection.
Whenever giving yourself treatments at home, you should have another responsible person present to help treat side effects or get help if you have a serious adverse reaction occur. Ask your healthcare provider whether you should have rescue medications available, such as antihistamines or epinephrine.
What are the possible or reasonably likely side effects of GAMMAGARD LIQUID for PI?
- The following one or more possible reactions may occur at the site of infusion. These generally go away within a few hours, and are less likely after the first few infusions: Mild or moderate pain, swelling, itching, redness, bruising, and warmth.
- During the infusion of GAMMAGARD LIQUID, look out for the first signs of the following common side effects: Headache, migraine, fever, fatigue, itching, rash/hives, cough, chest pain/tightness, chills/shaking chills, dizziness, nausea/vomiting, faster heart rate, upper abdominal pain, increased blood pressure, muscle cramps, and sore throat.
These are not all the possible side effects. Talk to your healthcare professional about any side effects that bother you or that don't go away.
For additional information, including Warning regarding blood clots, decreased kidney function, and kidney failure, click here for full Prescribing Information including Patient Information and discuss with your doctor.
You are encouraged to report suspected side effects by contacting FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch or Shire at 1-800-999-1785.
The risk information provided here is not comprehensive. To learn more, talk about GAMMAGARD LIQUID with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
For further information please contact:
NOTES TO EDITORS
Shire is the global leader in serving patients with rare diseases. We strive to develop best-in-class therapies across a core of rare disease areas including hematology, immunology, genetic diseases, neuroscience, and internal medicine with growing therapeutic areas in ophthalmics and oncology. Our diversified capabilities enable us to reach patients in more than 100 countries who are struggling to live their lives to the fullest.
We feel a strong sense of urgency to address unmet medical needs and work tirelessly to improve people’s lives with medicines that have a meaningful impact on patients and all who support them on their journey.
Statements included herein that are not historical facts, including without limitation statements concerning future strategy, plans, objectives, expectations and intentions, projected revenues, the anticipated timing of clinical trials and approvals for, and the commercial potential of, inline or pipeline products, are forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements involve a number of risks and uncertainties and are subject to change at any time. In the event such risks or uncertainties materialize, Shire’s results could be materially adversely affected. The risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Shire’s products may not be a commercial success;
- increased pricing pressures and limits on patient access as a result of governmental regulations and market developments may affect Shire’s future revenues, financial condition and results of operations;
- Shire depends on third parties to supply certain inputs and services critical to its operations including certain inputs, services and ingredients critical to its manufacturing processes. Any disruption to the supply chain for any of Shire’s products may result in Shire being unable to continue marketing or developing a product or may result in Shire being unable to do so on a commercially viable basis for some period of time;
- the manufacture of Shire’s products is subject to extensive oversight by various regulatory agencies. Regulatory approvals or interventions associated with changes to manufacturing sites, ingredients or manufacturing processes could lead to, among other things, significant delays, an increase in operating costs, lost product sales, an interruption of research activities or the delay of new product launches;
- the nature of producing plasma-based therapies may prevent Shire from timely responding to market forces and effectively managing its production capacity;
- Shire has a portfolio of products in various stages of research and development. The successful development of these products is highly uncertain and requires significant expenditures and time, and there is no guarantee that these products will receive regulatory approval;
- the actions of certain customers could affect Shire’s ability to sell or market products profitably. Fluctuations in buying or distribution patterns by such customers can adversely affect Shire’s revenues, financial conditions or results of operations;
- failure to comply with laws and regulations governing the sales and marketing of its products could materially impact Shire’s revenues and profitability;
- Shire’s products and product candidates face substantial competition in the product markets in which it operates, including competition from generics;
- Shire’s patented products are subject to significant competition from generics;
- adverse outcomes in legal matters, tax audits and other disputes, including Shire’s ability to enforce and defend patents and other intellectual property rights required for its business, could have a material adverse effect on the Shire’s revenues, financial condition or results of operations;
- Shire may fail to obtain, maintain, enforce or defend the intellectual property rights required to conduct its business;
- Shire faces intense competition for highly qualified personnel from other companies and organizations;
- failure to successfully execute or attain strategic objectives from Shire’s acquisitions and growth strategy may adversely affect the Shire’s financial condition and results of operations;
- Shire’s growth strategy depends in part upon its ability to expand its product portfolio through external collaborations, which, if unsuccessful, may adversely affect the development and sale of its products;
- a slowdown of global economic growth, or economic instability of countries in which Shire does business, could have negative consequences for Shire’s business and increase the risk of non-payment by Shire’s customers;
- changes in foreign currency exchange rates and interest rates could have a material adverse effect on Shire’s operating results and liquidity;
- Shire is subject to evolving and complex tax laws, which may result in additional liabilities that may adversely affect the Shire’s financial condition or results of operations;
- if a marketed product fails to work effectively or causes adverse side effects, this could result in damage to Shire’s reputation, the withdrawal of the product and legal action against Shire;
- Shire is dependent on information technology and its systems and infrastructure face certain risks, including from service disruptions, the loss of sensitive or confidential information, cyber-attacks and other security breaches or data leakages that could have a material adverse effect on Shire’s revenues, financial condition or results of operations;
- Shire faces risks relating to the expected exit of the United Kingdom from the European Union;
- Shire incurred substantial additional indebtedness to finance the Baxalta acquisition, which has increased its borrowing costs and may decrease its business flexibility;
- Shire's ongoing strategic review of its Neuroscience franchise may distract management and employees and may not lead to improved operating performance or financial results; there can be no guarantee that, once completed, Shire's strategic review will result in any additional strategic changes beyond those that have already been announced;
- the potential uncertainty resulting from the announcement by Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited on 8 May 2018 of a recommended offer for Shire under the UK Takeover Code; and
a further list and description of risks, uncertainties and other matters can be found in Shire’s most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and in Shire’s subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, in each case including those risks outlined in “ITEM1A: Risk Factors”, and in Shire’s subsequent reports on Form 8-K and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings, all of which are available on Shire’s website.
All forward-looking statements attributable to us or any person acting on our behalf are expressly qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements that speak only as of the date hereof. Except to the extent otherwise required by applicable law, we do not undertake any obligation to update or revise forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
SHIRE and the Shire Logo are registered trademarks of Shire Pharmaceutical Holdings Ireland Limited or its affiliates.
GAMMAGARD LIQUID is a registered trademark of Baxalta Incorporated, a wholly owned, indirect subsidiary of Shire plc