Shire is committed to operating a sustainable organization that protects our employees, the environment and the communities where we conduct our activities. We are committed to demonstrating respect for the individual and the environment. We firmly believe that exceptional environmental management is a key component in achieving excellent company performance and making Shire a world-class organization and responsible corporate citizen.
We strive to conserve resources and minimize or eliminate adverse environmental impacts and risks that may be associated with our products, facilities and operations. We are committed to promoting the sustainable and efficient use of natural resources, and to waste minimization, recycling, energy efficiency, and responsible product stewardship in our business activities. We regard compliance with environmental regulations wherever we operate as a minimum standard, to be exceeded where reasonably practicable.
We also look beyond our walls and we are working with our business partners to support responsible environmental practice and performance among our suppliers, contractors and customers. When selecting key suppliers, we assess their approach to HSE management, and make HSE performance a key factor in our purchasing and contracting arrangements.
We have developed a health, safety and environmental management system for all our manufacturing and distribution facilities, which is compatible with the international standards OHSAS 18001 and the ISO 14001 and continually work to improve this system.
Building on the enthusiasm and support of our employees, Shire has created local site-based environmental committees called SAVE – Shire’s Actions and Value for the Environment.
While Shire is a global company, most of our environmental impacts from our facilities are local and we believe are most effectively addressed locally. We therefore focus on setting local site-specific goals rather than generic global goals to reduce our impacts. At Shire we continuously strive to do the right thing and at each of our facilities our staff constantly work to identify and implement projects to reduce our environmental impacts.
Reflecting on 2012
- We received a number of Environmental Awards:
- Air Quality Excellence Award from the Air Quality Partnership of Delaware Valley.
- Our Chesterbrook campus was ranked 6th in Philadelphia Inquirer Top Workplace program. Contributing factors include the Farm-to-Shire Community Supported Agriculture program, and priority parking for eco-friendly vehicles.
- Environmental Leadership Award from GVF Transportation for our continued efforts in promoting alternative commuting options
- Business Innovation Award for our HGT facility for Recycling from Mass Recycle
- Shire secured inclusion in the FTSE4Good Index for another year, scoring top marks for both environment and environmental management; with our overall rating rising to 92.
- We improved our carbon reporting score from the Carbon Disclosure Project with a CDP score of 77; an improvement of 5% over 2011. A full report on our carbon emissions can be found at www.CDProject.net
|What we said we'd do||What we did|
Green Buildings: Continue to incorporate green building standards in new construction projects, and major renovations and ensure existing LEED certified buildings meet operational performance expectations
We met our commitment and added to our LEED building portfolio
Supplier Environmental Impacts
The number of suppliers participating in this program increased from 3 to 6.
We reduced the use of plastic bottles of water by 7% compared to 2011. One way we achieved this was by running a contest for the administrators challenging them to order pitchers of filtered water instead of plastic bottles for meeting. We had 74 participants in the contest who made the smart choice when planning 433 functions. The winner received a $500 donation to the charity of their choice.
Environmental Impact Reduction:
Environmental Volunteering: To celebrate Earthday many of our sites and staff participated in environmental volunteer events
Reduce our environmental impacts by:
- Continuing to incorporate green building standards in new construction projects, and major renovations and ensure existing LEED certified buildings meet operational performance expectations.
- Chesterbrook, PA: Reduce plastic water bottle use by 30% from 2011 amounts by 2015
- For our US fleet, to achieve a 10% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions per mile driven over the next 5 years (Baseline year 2012)
Our HSE team works to ensure that we keep the health and safety of our employees at the forefront while also looking for ways to minimize and reduce our impact to the environment.
Sponsor Environmental Stewardship
Building on the enthusiasm and support of our employees, Shire has created local site-based environmental committees called S.A.V.E.